About Me

My photo
I am a recent college graduate who is taking a year off from school to live in Honduras and work for the non-profit organization, Global Brigades. This is absolutely my dream job and I would love to share my adventures with you throughout this year. My story that I want to share with you is much longer than 1200 characters (the limit of this section of my profile) so please see my blog post titled “About Me” to find out more about how I ended up here in Honduras.

Monday, August 1, 2011

~About Me~

I just recently graduated from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in May 2011 with a major in Biology and minors in Spanish and Chemistry. I found out about Global Brigades my sophomore year and went on my first medical brigade to Honduras in 2009. Although this phrase is extremely overused, this experience was truly life changing. I fell in love with the people, the culture, the climate, the landscape and every other aspect of Honduras. I was humbled by the simple lifestyle so many of the Hondurans lived and couldn't help but be overwhelmed by their sincere happiness although they had nothing. They were so grateful for the medical services that we provided them with and although I went on this trip to change the lives of those living in rural Honduran communities, the people I met impacted my life more than I could have ever imagined.  I truly felt at home in Honduras and this trip solidified what I want to do as a career.
 The people of Honduras and other underserved populations have held a special place in my heart since I was 10 years old. My parents went on a medical mission trip to Honduras and ever since then my compassion for impoverished people has only grown. I grew up in a middle class environment, never in need of anything. I went to the same school from 3-year old preschool through 10th grade. This school was also my Church. Needless to say I grew up in a pretty small bubble and didn't have any understanding whatsoever of the outside world until my parents went to Honduras. My dad brought a very early addition of a digital camera with him on his trip. During one of their clinics, a old man asked my dad to take a picture of him. After my dad took the picture he showed it to the man. The man began crying and through a translator he told my dad that this was the first time in 87 years that he had ever seen what he looked like. The most he had ever seen of himself was his reflection in the stream near his small, rural town. My dad printed his picture off for me and ever since he told me that story the old man's picture has been right beside my bed to remind me how fortunate I am everyday.  As 10 year old girl who owned at least 10 mirrors and had never even heard of this type of poverty, this story greatly impacted me. Although I did not realize it then, this man planted a seed in my heart that would continue to grow throughout my schooling and would drive my passion for wanting to bring medical care to those who otherwise do not have access to it.

Below is the picture that my dad took of the elderly Honduran man. He had been watching my dad use his camera and then show the pictures he took to the children. So when he asked my dad to take a picture of him  he knew that he would finally be able to see what he looked like. Can you imagine what he is thinking in the moment this picture was being taken? Up until this point he has gone his ENTIRE life without really knowing what he looked like and being able to finally know was becoming a reality. I cannot even come close to fathoming what he was thinking and feeling during this moment.
After that first trip to Honduras I became more involved with the medical brigades chapter at my university. I went on another medical brigade spring break of my junior year and after that trip I became president of the UNC medical brigades chapter. This leadership position further solidified what I want to do with my life. I found myself spending almost all my free time working on things for our club because I truly believed in the mission of Global Brigades and wanted to do everything I could to be a part of that mission and ensure our brigades were successful. This is somewhat hard to explain but I have this inner turmoil or unrest that does not subside unless I am doing something meaningful to help better the lives of those who are not even given basic human rights such has healthcare, clean water, and a clean, disease-free home to live. I have been so extremely blessed and although this sounds cliché all I want to do is give back to people who were never given any of the opportunities I was given. Being able to plan a prepare two medical brigades to Honduras and one to Panama was one of the most rewarding and satisfying experiences of my life thus far. 

My senior year of college I knew I wanted to take a year off from school to expand my world view and work for a non-profit organization. As I was in the midst of many applications I received an email about a job opportunity with Global Brigades. The job was for a Medical and Dental Program Advisor who would be living in Honduras. This job was literally my dream job and could not have been a more perfect fit for what I was looking for. I applied right away and after many sets of interviews I was very fortunate to be offered the position. I am now living in Honduras working for Global Brigades and could not be any happier. It is such an amazing, indescribable feeling to know you are exactly where you are meant to be, doing exactly what you are meant to be doing. Right now I am in the process of applying to Physician Assistant School and hope to continue my education next fall with hopes of becoming a PA so that I can implement healthcare initiatives in places that have limited access to healthcare. 

No comments:

Post a Comment